Hey Big Dogs, this article is for you! We love all dogs, but we’ve got extra big love for dogs 40+ pounds. Here are some quick tips for caring for big dogs, and how CBD may help them with aging and recovery, as well as separation stress and other potential benefits!
- RUN SWIM JUMP! Regular exercise, especially water-based (low impact) is not only necessary to get that big goofy energy out, but also a must for overall health. At least 1 hour per day is recommended, but more is needed for large working breeds like German Shepards and Huskies. Be cautious of exercise on hard surfaces though, as they can be tough on dogs’ joints.
- A healthy diet is key to a happy dog, especially those ripping through calories daily. Always review changes in diet with your dog’s veterinarian, but studies show diets containing natural fats may improve temperament and mood, as well as overall health, in large breeds.
- Do not overfeed them as puppies, as this may be linked to abnormal bone and joint growth. When discussing diet, be sure to ask your veterinarian about portion control as well.
- CBD! Be sure to get the full 411 on our our CBD and Dogs article, but CBD can help big dogs in a big way. From sore joints and hip dysplasia to stress, Super Pups CBD Dog Treats and CBD Oil is a great supplement to your dog’s wellness routine.
- Plenty of fresh water. Some dogs are picky about water, especially city water containing high levels of chlorine. If your dog isn’t drinking much, try offering filtered water or adding ice.
- Entertainment! Large dogs are often extra smart and can get bored easily. There are dozens of challenging puzzle toys for dogs available as well as entire YouTube channels devoted to dogs. Squirrel TV anyone??
- Regular checkups with a veterinarian who takes the time to answer your questions and is well-rated online.
- Consistent grooming to keep their coat and skin healthy. Itching all day is no fun!
- Regular play and general enjoyment of life. Dogs are social creatures and many need to feel the wind in their ears and sniff a few butts at the park to feel like their best selves.
- Training! Many large breeds are working dogs, meaning they were bred to do a daily job alongside their human. To lead a healthy fulfilled life, some breeds must be worked or trained daily to provide adequate stimulation, challenge, and positive reenforcement.
Avoiding hip dysplasia in large canines is often tough, as the cause is often genetic, as well as other causes. Training hip dysplasia prone breeds from an early age not to jump up and down high surfaces is advised, with many companies offering ramps and stairs as an alternative.
Since every dog is 100% different and uses CBD for different reasons, we recommend first consulting your veterinarian then starting on low dose and finding your dog’s “sweet spot”. Super Pups offers 5 MG treats in two flavors, as well as a 500 MG bottle of CBD Oil so you can very accurately find what works best for your dog.
It’s true larger dogs may require more CBD than smaller dogs to reach the same desired effect. For this reason we always recommend consulting your veterinarian then starting on low dose and finding your dog’s “sweet spot”. It may also helpful to keep a journal of how much and when you administered CBD to your dog, along with the observed effect. Remember, your dog may be feeling positive impacts of CBD even without outwardly showing it.